Established in 1928 by the Reverend John Flynn, the 'Flying Doctor' assisted 255 patients and saved four lives in its first year. This was made possible by a bequest in 1927 from H.V. McKay (a Victorian Industrialist).
Today the Royal Flying Doctor Service of Australia (RFDS) owns a fleet of 53 aircraft plus one jet which provides emergency rescues.
It is currently rated Australia's fourth largest fleet of aircraft. Operating 21 bases across Australia, RFDS doctors and flight nurses provide medical assistance to over 270,000 people every year - that's one every two minutes!
Whilst continuing to provide crucial fundraising support for services across the country, the Victorian Section of the Royal Flying Doctor Service has expanded its role into education, promotion and health services.
Primary health care services include:
• Women's health services
• Regular visiting GP, nursing and allied health clinics
• Child, school and adolescent health clinics
• Health promotion and education sessions
• Radio and telephone remote medical consultations
• Chronic disease prevention and management including diabetes education, podiatry, nutrition and dietetics
• Dental health clinics
• Mental health clinics
• Social and emotional well being
Thanks to your tremendous support, we can continue to provide vital health care services and save the lives of people who live, work in and visit rural and remote Australia.
Your consideration of a gift in your will to the Royal Flying Doctor Service (Victorian Section) would be greatly appreciated. A gift in your will makes a difference, no matter how large or small.